Disney’s 2020 investors day was a 4-hour marathon of announcements, sizzle reels, and some big surprises. Our own Robbert de Koeijer was there virtually. He’s broken down the big takeaways into this four part series.
Lucasfilm has been mostly laying low since the release of Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker, making us wonder what we can expect for Star Wars’s future, aside from new seasons of The Mandalorian. Well, they told us now. And how!
- There will be two spin-off Disney+ series to smash hit The Mandalorian, both coming from Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni. Not a lot of details are given, but Rangers of the New Republic and Ahsoka will share the same timeframe as The Mandalorian going forward. What’s more, it is said that all three series will eventually reach one epic climax. Ahsoka most likely will see Rosario Dawson (The Mandalorian) return in the live action role of Ahsoka Tano. While we have to wait and see when Rangers of the New Republic and Ahsoka will come to Disney+, Season 3 of The Mandalorian will be with us Christmas 2021.
Speaking of The Mandalorian, we got a recap trailer of The Mandalorian Season 2 up to this point.
- Rogue One prequel Disney+ series Andor is shooting right now near London, and we have been given our first look at the series from Rogue One scribe Tony Gilroy and starring the returning duo of Diego Luna and Alan Tudyk.
Big news for the Disney+ series Obi-Wan Kenobi, as Hayden Christensen will reprise his role as Darth Vader! The series from writer Joby Harold (King Arthur: Legend of the Sword) and starring a returning Ewan McGregor will be set 10 years after Revenge of the Sith.
- A sizzle reel was shown for The Bad Batch, the upcoming animated sequel and spin-off Disney+ series to Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Continuing the adventures of the misfit clone trooper unit from Season 7 of The Clone Wars. The series is written by Jennifer Corbett (Star Wars: Resistance) and Matt Michnovetz (Star Wars: The Clone Wars), with Dave Filoni as executive producer. We can expect the series sometime in 2021.
- Star Wars: Visions will be an anime anthology series from various anime studios. There will be 10 short films, coming sometime in 2021 to Disney+.
- Justin Simien (Dear White People) is developing a Disney+ event series centred around none other than Lando Calrissian! Lando is in early development right now and it’s not clear if Lando portrayers Billy Dee Williams or Donald Glover are involved. However, an image of the Solo style Millennium Falcon was shown.
- Director Patty Jenkins (Wonder Woman) will direct Star Wars: Rogue Squadron. That title alone will already tell a lot of you that this will be a movie centred around the starfighter pilots in Star Wars. The title was previously used for three arcade flight sim games set during the Original Trilogy. However, we are teased here that the movie could be set after Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker. Rogue Squadron is expected to release in cinemas for Christmas 2023!
- Star Wars: A Droid Show will be an animated series centred around a new hero guided by R2-D2 and C-3PO on a secret mission. The Disney+ series will be coming from Lucasfilm Animation and ILM.
- Star Wars: The Acolyte is a live action mystery thriller set in the upcoming new Star Wars era titled The High Republic. Set thousands of years before The Phantom Menace, the Disney+ series from Leslye Headland (Russian Doll) will chronicle the tail end of The High Republic era, but is beyond that shrouded in mystery.
- Children of Blood and Bone is a Lucasfilm theatrical movie adaption in cooperation with 20th Century Studios, based upon the novel by Tomi Adeyemi. The story follows heroine Zélie Adebola as she attempts to restore magic to the kin
gdom of Orïsha, following the ruling class kosidáns’ brutal suppression of the class of magic practitioners Zélie belongs to, the maji.
- “Indiana Jones 5” is said to be the final movie in the Indiana Jones saga. (We kind of doubt it.) James Mangold (Logan) will direct the final Indy movie starring Harrison Ford as the legendary archaeologist hero. The movie will start shooting in the late Spring of 2021 for a release in 2022.
- 1988 fantasy movie Willow will receive a sequel Disney+ series. Warwick Davies will return as the titular character and Jonathan Kasdan (Solo) and Wendy Mericle (Arrow) will be writing. Director of the movie Ron Howard will be attached as executive producer.